According to a report issued yesterday, the new gTLDs may not be revealed until as late as June 29. ICANN CEO Rod Beckstrom said in an interview with Domain Incite that he hopes to be able to host the reveal before he steps down from his position on July 1.
Applicants initially expected to hear if their applications were successful this week, but then last week ICANN pushed the reveal back to sometime in May. Now applicants may have to wait until the ICANN 44 meeting in Prague on June 29th before learning if their applications were successful.
According to Beckstrom, scheduling the reveal for June 29th is a personal goal, not a commitment from ICANN to meet that deadline. While he is pushing for a quick resolution of the issue, he stated the quality of the program is more important than a specific reveal date.
It was a technical glitch in April that forced ICANN to take its application system offline. ICANN is continuing to investigate what happened to the TAS that caused applicants to see file names and usernames of other applicants. ICANN plans to notify users of whether or not they were affected by the TAS bug by May 8.
According to ICANN, the bug was not a security issue, but rather a standard software bug.
“Obviously any time you have a software problem or technical problem with any program you come under enhanced security and criticism, and I think that’s understandable, that’s fair,” Beckstrom told Domain Incite. “What we’re focused on is resolving this successfully and I think ICANN has dealt with many challenges in its past successfully and we’re committed to resolve this issue professionally.”